Sunday, February 24, 2013

Getting Students Caught Up

I teach an inclusion setting of Algebra I A at the high school level. During each unit the students will complete "Concept Tickets". These are short quizzes (like exit slips) given when we have completed a concept. For instance, we are in the Linear Functions chapter. So far we have had a "Concept Ticket" on Slope, Classifying Linear Formats, Parallel Lines, Graphing in slope-intercept, and Graphing in standard form.

There has one been one student having trouble with the graphing concept tickets - in this case - I will or the special education teacher will meet one-on-one to review the misconceptions.When there are too many students not understanding. A class conversation takes place on the misconceptions and how we can prevent these from happening again. In either case, students are allowed to re-take a concept ticket.

Students also have the option of going to the Math Help Room. Every period at our high school a math teacher will be available to assist with math concepts.

For my Algebra II classes, students who choose to redo their concept ticket need to explain their mistake. Students can ask myself or a peer for guidance.

As I type this I have some concerns that I need to fine tune:

  • should I have a set percentage that students must redo
  • should certain classes have tighter time frames
  • should students who are looking to increase their grade be allowed to redo these at the end of the marking period

3 comments:

  1. Kelly,

    I LOVE the concept tickets idea! I currently grade their concepts but it is very "dry" for them. They just have a concept sheet (that they do not pay attention to). I am going to try to work concept tickets into my classroom. :)

    Increasing their grade is an excellent incentive for re-takes. But, I don't think that they should be allowed to take them all at the end. I think they need to spread them out so they are not just cramming (and thus forgetting) information. Good luck! :)

    Julie
    ispeakmath.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I allow mine to retake any assessment up until the week before the end of the term. I was worried that it would create a rush, but it hasn't. There are a few who rush, but for the most part the ones who care about retakes keep on top of it and the ones who don't care don't usually change their mind later on.

    I did make one change this semester that relates to requiring a retake for low scores - In my gradebook I made an entry work 0 points that's listed as a retake for the quiz. I just leave it blank for students 75% or higher. If a student scores lower than that I mark the retake as missing. That catches parent's attention more that the low scores were. I've had more atually studying to retake the tests since that change.

    But next year I'll finish switching them all over to SBG so the whole gradebook will look different :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Blogosphere! I am excited to have you and appreciate your concerns.

    ReplyDelete