Sunday, March 10, 2013

Homework Grading Policy and Follow Up

Thank you I SPEAK MATH for getting me to reflect weekly!

As far as the stations from last week went...they did not go. We had a surprise day off and it threw off the week. I promise I will try the stations in one of my classes!

The review for the Algebra I quiz...we spent one day working with peers to answer all the note cards and the next day was "studying" as if we were at home. Students were expected to go through the cards over and over... categorizing the cards in I got it and I still need to work on this. Quiz is Monday so we will see how it goes.

Homework Grading Policy is different based on the course and the class personality. I have used the following in my high school classes...

+ 2 pts for homework completion
+ collect for accuracy grade
+ if a student is absent for the lesson I will not ask students to make up the homework instead I expect them to pay attention during homework review so they can learn the material
+ revolving homework collection (this is an idea from my student teacher, which works okay if you homework is consistent), everyday pull Popsicle sticks out and collect those students homework. Grade on a rubric...+2 neatness +2 completion +2 accuracy +1 pencil  Once you have pulled all the Popsicle sticks - start over.
+ I will walk around the room and check my students homework but only record for information. I mainly do this in my Algebra II CP class. As many of us know for students there is a direct correlation in not doing homework and grades. But for others in class lessons and questions is enough.



1 comment:

  1. I do revolving homework in my class too, except that once they are picked their name goes right back in with all the other names. Otherwise they'd learn that if they just got called they get a free pass until I start over again. so I have some people that have been checked 4 times already, some only twice. But it usually balances out to pretty close to the same number of checks for everyone by the end of the term.

    ReplyDelete